Chicken liver parfait recipe
Posted in Blog on 30th June 2020
A simple, delicious recipe for you to enjoy at a picnic or on a summer's evening.
- One shallot, sliced
- 50ml port
- 50ml madeira
- 50ml brandy
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 250g chicken livers
- 3 whole egg
- 1 heaped teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 250g unsalted butter, plus 100g extra for coating the top
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees.
- Trim the chicken livers of any sinew and place in a container with the eggs and clingfilm. Allow to come to room temperature.
- In the meantime, place the shallot, alcohol and herbs in a small saucepan and reduce on a medium heat until only a teaspoon of liquid is left.
- Gently melt the 250g butter, either in a pan on the hob, or in a suitable container in a microwave.
- When the livers and eggs are ready, blitz using either a jug or hand blender along with the reduced alcohol mix.
- Once incorporated continue to blitz whilst slowly adding the melted butter, and finally the salt and pepper. The mixture should be silky smooth.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and pour into 4 ramekins/small kilner jars.
- Place in a roasting tray on top of 5-6 layers of kitchen paper and fill the tray with enough hot (but not boiling) water to come halfway up the ramekins.
- Place tray in the oven and cook until the surface of the parfaits has a slight wobble in the center, the size of a 5p piece.
- Once ready take out and allow to cool down before placing in the fridge to set up.
- Once fully chilled, a tablespoon of melted butter can be spooned on top to create a seal if desired.
- Serve with freshly toasted bread and chutney and/or pickles.
Find more delicious recipes on the Mayfield blog.