Posted in Blog on 23rd May 2022
23rd May 2022
This classic British, fuss-free recipe is a must for any household this year - perfect for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
Start with just 6 ingredients:
- 6oz softened unsalted butter
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- Strawberry jam for the filling (we rather like it with raspberry too!)
- Double cream or clotted cream
- Icing sugar for dusting, plus any other decoration you choose
- 1tsp vanilla extract creates a lovely flavour if you have some, but it is also perfectly delicious without.
- Grease two 20cm sandwich tins and line with greaseproof paper. Pre-heat the oven to 140C / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until it has a creamy texture and is lighter in colour.
- Add in one egg and mix with a third of the flour – it is fine to whisk or mix by hand, just be consistent.
- Then add another egg and mix with more flour, repeating this process until the mixture is combined.
- Split into the two sandwich tins and cook in the oven for about 15/20 minutes on 140C / Gas Mark 4.
- To check your sponge is perfectly cooked, pop a knife in to the centre. If the knife comes out clean your sponge is well baked. Leave both to stand for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- >Once cooled, smooth a layer or whipped double cream or clotted cream over the bottom of one cake and the jam over the other. The sandwich the cakes together and it's ready to be decorated.
- Finally, decorate the top with a dusting of icing sugar or perhaps fresh strawberries to complete the look.