Top Tips For Flipping Good Pancakes
As Shrove Tuesday dawns there is the distinct clatter of frying pans being pulled out of cupboards, whisks primed and ready, and ingredients sourced.
This is the year you tell yourself that you will perfect that flip! The perfect pancake is a mix of flour, eggs, milk, sugar, oil and a flex of the wrist.
Our top retirement village chefs have this advice…
- 125g plain flour – sieved
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml full fat milk
- 2tbsp sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
TOP TIP: If pancakes are preferred savoury, eliminate the sugar and vanilla extract
- Add the flour, sugar, vanilla extract (if using), salt and eggs to a large bowl
- Add 100ml of milk and whisk until smooth
- Once smooth, gradually add the remaining milk and continue to whisk
TOP TIP: Getting the batter smooth before adding the rest of the milk is the key to getting your pancakes light and thin.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan and spray with oil for an even coating
- Let the pan heat up a little more, lift the pan and add the batter with a ladle, swirling the pan to create an even layer of the batter mix
- Return the pan to the heat and cook for 1-1.5 minutes, at which time you can then flip your pancak (You can try the fun way or use a spatula)
- Cook for a further 1-1.5 minutes, then turn out onto a plate
- Repeat this process until all the batter is finished.
There isn’t a limit to the type and amount of toppings possible on a pancake, the classic way is to sprinkle with caster sugar and a squeeze of lemon. Alternatively, sweet toppings could include a dollop of coconut yogurt, fruit compote, chocolate, whipped cream, or go the American way and smother with bacon and maple syrup.
To enjoy your pancakes savoury, top them with smoked salmon and crème fraiche; eggs benedict and ham; spinach and ricotta, or why not swap out a hash brown for a pancake and enjoy with a full English breakfast.
People visiting restaurants in our Audley retirement villages (our sister company) on 25th February 2020 can expect a special pancake menu and lots of creative toppings.