Hot cross bun and butter pudding
Posted in Blog on 26th February 2021
You’ll never look at a hot cross bun the same way again with this Easter twist on a classic British dessert.
- 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod (split in half)
- 40g soft butter
- 8 hot cross buns, halved
- 3tbsp orange marmalade
- 2tbsp demerara sugar
- 1/4tsp mixed spice
- 25g dried sultanas
- Make the custard by whisking the 6 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Place a pan on a low heat and then add the halved vanilla pod (with seeds), milk and cream.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 mins and then take off the heat and remove the vanilla pod.
- Next, add the milk and cream to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and then butter well and then layer the hot cross buns in an ovenproof dish. Pour the custard over the buns and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
- Mix the demerara sugar with the mixed spice and sprinkle over the top of the mixture along with the dried sultanas.
- With a small teaspoon place little drops of marmalade over the top of the pudding.
- Place the dish into the pre-heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the custard has set. Allow the pudding to rest and enjoy.
Find more recipes and lifestyle tips on the Mayfield retirement blog.